In Loving Memory……
Want to donate to APTS in memory of a loved one? You can give any amount safely and securely through PayPal.
Want to support A Place to Start?
Your donation to A Place to Start is greatly appreciated. You can give any amount safely and securely through PayPal.
Connie and her daughters
A Place to Start
is a non-profit organization started with a mission of hope, help and guidance for families living with Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
Connie’s kids – Sally, Donna, Dave, Kate and Mary
We help you develop specific and individualized care plans for living with the diagnosis of dementia. And we offer mentorship, navigation, guidance, planning, support and understanding for coping with alzheimer’s disease.
A Place to Start is a way for our family to continue a passionate cause in honor of our dear mother, Connie, who passed away from Alzheimer’s disease in 2011. As a family who has journeyed down the uncertain path of dementia and Alzheimer’s, we hope to help and guide other families living with the disease.
We can help – we’ve been there.
A Place to Start offers all assistance and guidance at no cost to the family!
We aim to provide guidance to family caregivers by creating a personalized course of action for the care of your loved one.
In our experience, dementia is an ever-changing disease for your loved one and your family. There are always new issues, situations, and emotional support needs that arise. We want to help take some of the stress of the unknown away —-> let’s make a plan!
How can we help?
The journey is easier if you know where you are going……
A Place to Start will assemble a list of available resources that pertain to your specific needs such as….
• Assisted Living Communities: A Place to Start will provide their services to ACCOMPANY you on tours of local assisted living communities for your loved one. (We have found this to be very helpful for families to guide them gently through this process.)
• Help organize Medical and Legal Documents: Power of Attorney, Health Care Directive, Medication lists, Family and Emergency contact lists, etc.
• Help connect you with reputable local in-home care for your loved one.
• Introduce you to Adult Day Programs in your area.
• Help you find local support groups to attend. A Place To Start offers monthly support groups (check our calendar!)
• Suggest books that help you understand what is happening to your loved one so you can be an informed caregiver. Suggest books that help provide information tools on Caregiver Wellness…..a very important piece of this journey.
• Sit down with families to listen, make a plan, and show you how you can live with this diagnosis and have some wonderful memories and moments with your loved ones!